I’m sure you have all been chomping at the bit waiting for me to post my corn cake recipe, right? Well, here it is! (Ok…I get that most of the world doesn’t care about food quite as much as I do, but I like to think that you all love getting Juicy Bites in your in box! )
These are the little corn cakes that I made and topped with my Tomatilla and Avocado Relish as an appetizer for a party. I also served them for dinner for my family and topped them with black beans and cheese. Sort of like a tostada but with a corn cake instead of a tortilla.
They were perfect little party food bites and they were a hit with my family at the dinner table. I think they would also be great served for breakfast or brunch topped with eggs and served with bacon…yum! A little crumbled bacon thrown in the batter wouldn’t hurt at all either.
I used a mix of Masa (a Mexican corn flour found with the other flours), all purpose flour, and corn meal. They had a nice texture with that mix and the scallions and green chilies gave them great flavor. Masa is also a great ingredient to thicken Mexican soups or chilies, or make to your own corn tortillas. But if all you use if for is these pancakes, it’s still worth it! I added a little honey for a touch of sweetness, but you could increase the honey by another tablespoon or 2 if you were making these for breakfast dish.
Topped with black beans, jack cheese, and the tomatillo and avocado relish, these were a perfect main coarse and my family loved them.
You could be creative with toppings…if you have any yummy ideas, please send them my way!
Sweet and Savory Corn Cakes
This makes about a dozen dinner sized cakes or about 30 appetizer cakes
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- ½ cup masa harina
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup melted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablspoons honey
- 8 scallions, trimmed, white and green portions thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups sweet corn (frozen is fine, just thaw first)
- 2 green chilies (like Ortega canned green chilies) seeded and chopped small
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Combine the flour, cornmeal, masa harina, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring well. Set aside.
2. Using a food processor, pulse the corn several times until it is coarsely chopped.
3. Combine the buttermilk, butter, egg, and honey in a second, smaller bowl, whisking together. Add the corn, scallions, and chilies and mix well.
4. Using as few strokes as possible, stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until the two are barely smoothed out.
5. Heat a non stick pan with about a tablespoon of oil. When it’s hot, ladle on the batter; using a ¼-cup ladle will yield about 12 good-size pancakes.
Optional Serving Idea:
Top warm corn cake with black beans, shredded cheese, and salsa of your choice. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.